Wassink Family

Wassink Family

Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Harvester's wife

       It has been so busy around here as of late.  I got the privilege to stand up in a good friend's wedding this past weekend.  The bridesmaids and the bride stayed overnight in a cabin at Wabasis Campground the night of the rehearsal.  It was a lot of fun to have one more girls night before Tara got married.  Her wedding was on a Saturday at a church out in Rockford and the reception took place at the Wabasis campground activities building.  I'm so happy for Tara and Jeff!  I hope the Lord blesses them with many happy years of marriage.
     Blueberry harvest has also begun this past Monday.  Ross has been working very long hours.  The beginning of harvest seems to always be the hardest.  They run what they call the fresh line.  They harvest some fresh berries and bring them to the shed to be cleaned and be sorted through on a conveyor belt.  A few workers stand on either side of the belt and  take all the bad berries off the line and the berries continue on the belt and they get put in clear plastic boxes.  Our brand is Natureripe.  That's right, I'm advertising.  Best berries you'll ever taste.  When they run fresh line, Ross will start around 6am and come home between 7-10pm.
       As I mentioned, Ross is working..............A LOT!  And as I said previously it's been a busy week.  The twins started out the week with a bang.  They both caught a good cold.  A cold for us means respiratory treatments.  The boys have asthma and Reed has it the worst.  I took them both in on Monday to the doctor.  Luke checked out fine, just continue to do the respiratory treatments.  Reed, not so much.  He ended up with an ear infection and needed to be placed on oral steroids to help him breathe better.  So that was Monday.
    Also this week, Reed is starting to phase out of taking naps.  Of all weeks, I wish it wasn't this week, but it is.  At first I thought it was because of all the albuterol treatments.  Albuterol treatments make kids hyper, but I didn't give him one today and he still insisted on not taking a nap.  I've had a very stressful and rough week. 
   One morning this week was so rough that I couldn't take it anymore.  I took all of the kids out for a walk.  Leanne and Clay rode bikes and I pushed Alli and the twins in the double jogger stroller.  Ross came home during this for lunch to find breakfast still out and the floor littered with pretzels and animal cookies. He doesn't get upset about it either. He just says to me "that bad, huh?"   
       Ross hasn't been able to come home for dinner because he has been so busy at work.  I made salad last night with chicken strips on it along with beans fresh from the garden (we have beans coming our of our ears here).  The kids LOVED it.  Even my picky eater Clay had two helpings of it.  It's been hard to eat dinner and manage all the kids myself.  We ate outside last night and I was having trouble keeping the twins in line.  My fist mistake was having them sit across from each other and not on either side of me.  It was going well at first until Reed started to chuck his beans at Luke.  Luke, of course, was egging him on because he was laughing and so were the rest of the kids.  By the time I got over to Reed to put a stop to it, Luke started chucking his beans.  The boys were basically having their own food fight and the older 3 thought it was hilarious. I did not think it was funny at all.  It was an exhausting dinner hour.  It's so much harder when Ross isn't here to help me.  I didn't realize how hard I lean on him until he wasn't here.
         We're only the first week into harvest with at least 5 more to go.  I'm hoping that once the boys feel better we'll be able to get into a better groove.  This has been the hardest start to harvest I have ever had.  It can only get better, right?  I'm so thankful that Ross has a good job and he loves what he does.  In the grand scheme of things, harvest is only a few weeks out the entire year.  Happy harvesting!




No comments:

Post a Comment